Sunday, April 29, 2012

Sewing with kids

My relationship with my oldest is quite special. I credit her with my life, meaning, that after her twin died, she was really my reason for continuing, for getting out of bed every day.  She is Aleah's identical twin, so I can look at her and imagine Aleah.  Last week I glanced in my rear view mirror while Ada was singing loudly, and off-key.  It was easy to picture her doppelganger seated next to her, smiling just as broadly.

I try to make her birthdays special.  Willa and Micah have birthdays just weeks after Christmas (Jan 11 and 24), so I'm afraid to say that, yes, they receive the short end of the proverbial stick when it comes to birthdays. Ada has been asking for a sewing machine for- well- months.  I suggested it would be a good birthday present for a 6 year old.  She has not forgotten.   I asked her Nini to purchase the Janome 11706 3/4 Size Hello Kitty Sewing Machine.   I can quilt straight lines.  That's about it.  I am no sewist I'm going to have to learn to sew.  But our first project will be to make quilts for these super cute adorable bunkbeds!

Originally submitted at Laurent DollIncludes two each cotton covered mattresses and pillows Measures 12" x 24.5" x 24.5" Weighs 12.5 lbs
Bunk bed for my children's childrenBy Manda from Montgomery, AL on 4/29/2012
Pros: Heirloom quality, BEAUTIFUL, Easy to assemble
Cons: Very chemical smell
This doll bed will be a birthday gift to my daughter in a couple of weeks. I put the boxed product in our linen closet after we received it last week, and I smelled it each time we open the door. The smell is strong even through the packaging. I took it out of the packaging 2 weeks in advance to assemble it and hide it in outdoor place in hopes the smell will subside. I still gave the product a top rating, but wanted to mention this to those who have sensitivity to smells.
Other than that issue, it is a very cute and very durable bed. I expect that this will be treasured and loved for decades to come.
(legalese)
I got her a fabric bundle from Fabricworm.  Confession:  it has been so hard for me not to slice into these babies!  Oh my goodness they are cute!  I can't wait to share my love of quilting with Ada!  We'll do a simple patchwork top with a border.  As a librarian, I like to do things by the book.  I'm trying to decide which of the limited titles on quilting with kids I should buy, if any.  I did get My First Sewing Machine Book: Learn To Sew: Kids, which is pretty good.

I've been scouring the internet looking for blogs that focus on kids and sewing.  Remember, that I'll be learning right along with her.  Here are a couple of my favorites:

ikat bag
Sewing School Blog
Polka Dot Chair

If you have a blog post on sewing with kids, or a book suggestion, or any advice, please share and help this anxious mama!
5out of 5

0 comments: